á la Minimalist Baker
This spread is thicker than your average nut butter, which can be a little runy at times. Not this. It’s thick, mega chocolatey, and reminiscent of a thick, fudgy brownie. You’re going to love this spread. It’s perfect on anything, and everything.
Toast? Yes. Pancakes? Yes. Fruit? Yes. Waffles? Hells yes.
This 6-ingredient nut butter spread tastes just like a fudgy brownie! Simple, vegan, gluten free and so delicious.
What You’ll Need…
1.5 cups raw almonds
1 cup raw walnuts (or sub pecans)
1/3 cup dates, pitted (if dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain well)
1/2 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips (dairy-free)
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
1/4 tsp salt
What To Do…
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
– Spread nuts evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and beginning to crack. Set aside to cool.
– While the nuts are baking, add dates to a food processor and blend until a paste or ball forms. Scrape out and set aside.
– Add slightly cooled nuts to food processor and mix until a butter forms, scraping down sides as needed.
– Add chocolate chips and put the lid back for 1 minute to melt, then blend thoroughly.
– Add salt, cocoa or cacao powder and mix once more.
– Lastly, add in date paste a little at a time until it reaches a spreadable thick batter. (Save any remaining date paste for other nut butters, to sweeten smoothies or oatmeal, etc.) Blend thoroughly, then transfer to a jar. If you refrigerate, it will get hard, so I recommend leaving it at room temp (kind of like you would nutella).
– Spread on toast, fresh toast (vegan, banana, coconut cream pie), pancakes, oatmeal, or add to smoothies and shakes!